Sunday, August 26, 2018

Lactation brownies

I wanted an easy and quick recipe for lactation cookies, but I didn't want to take the time to spoon out individual cookies. I bought brownie bars with oats at Trader Joes, but they did not taste as good as real brownies.  I don't understand how and why they put so much sugar into something and then make it taste healthy. I wanted something I could eat when I get a chocolate craving that tastes good.

These are my experiments with boxed brownie mix.

The Internet research pointed me to a babycenter group (The Exclusive Pumpers) who had tried this back in 2013. One poster suggested adding 3 Tbsp flax meal and 2 Tbsp Brewers yeast straight to a boxed mix. That sounded easy.  I wanted oatmeal too though so I added half a cup, that didn't seem like quite enough so I added another 1/4th cup for a total of 3/4 cup.

I pick up brownie mixes when I see them on sale and keep them for when I need a quick dessert.  The first mix I had in my cupboard was Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix.  I hoped to find a recipe that would work with any mix.

The brownies were delicious, they tasted like fudgey brownies.  They did not rise at all though, I probably could have used the 2 eggs for cakey brownies.

Here is my suggested recipe:

1 box brownie mix and ingredients listed on the box (usually eggs, water, and oil)
2 Tablespoons Brewers Yeast
3 Tablespoons Flax Meal
3\4 cup rolled oats.
1-2 Tablespoons extra water.

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl (brownie mix, oatmeal, flax, brewer's yeast)
Add egg(s), oil, water, per box instructions. Mix the batter together with a mixing spoon.  The batter should be easy to stir but not runny, if it is too stiff then add an extra Tablespoon or two of water.

Spread into a greased pan and bake per the box instructions.

Some tips for the novice baker:
-Set your timer for the shortest time in the baking directions, check if they are done, if not close the oven for another minute or two.  Repeat at the end of that minute.
-instructions usually say to insert a fork and if it comes out clean they are done.  You are looking for drippy or gooey batter on the fork, that means it needs more time. A crumb or two on the fork means they are done.
-set the pan on a cooling rack or hot pad or trivit on the counter to cool.  The heat from the oven will continue to cook the brownies if you set the pan on the stove.






Here is an Amazon shopping list of what I used, if you just want to click.




There are also many other options at different price points on Amazon

5 comments:

  1. These were actually not horrible like I thought they were going to be. I bought Ghirardelli Triple Fudge mix, mixed extra Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips in with the batter, and served it with warm peanut butter drizzled on top. It was quite the decadent dessert, and I noticed a moderate increase in my milk supply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you put the oats through a food processor first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could if you wanted. Let me know how it turns out. I like oatmeal cookies, I thought the texture was similar. You could also try instant oats, I think those tend to have less texture in baked goods.

      Delete
  3. I know this is an old post, but I'm excited to try this. I decided to use the Kodiak Cakes Protein Packed Brownie Mix. I figured a little extra protein wouldn't hurt. :) Hopefully, they will turn out better than I am expecting. Brownies are not my forte from scratch for some reason. :) I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making some tonight!!! How did your turn out?!!!

    ReplyDelete